Homemade Laundry Soap
1/2 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
1. On your stovetop, place grated soap in a large pan with 6 cups of water and heat until
the soap melts.
2. Add washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. Pour 4 cups hot water into the 4-gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and stir well, then
add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir again until mixed well.
4. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours; it will congeal into a gel.
5. Stir the soap before each use. Use ½ cup per load (a little more or a little less
depending upon how soiled your laundry is).
Makes 1 batch = approx. 2 gallons (64 loads). Recipe may be doubled.
Please note: This is a low-sudsing soap, so you will not see bubbles or suds in the water.
The suds aren't what do the cleaning – it's the ingredients!
Scented Soap: You may scent your laundry soap if desired; use 1/2-1 oz essential oil or
fragrance oil. DO NOT use soap scents as they will ruin your batch.